1. Put large pan over a medium-high heat with a generous drizzle of olive oil. Once hot, add the onions, garlic and mushrooms, and fry for 5 minutes or until the onions turn clear and garlic becomes fragrant.
2. Remove the vegetable mix from the pan and set aside. Return pan to the heat and add the mince. Cook until browned and the mince has broken apart into small clumps. Add the wine and reduce for 5 minutes. Return the vegetables to the mince, then add whole tomatoes and use your spoon to break them up amongst the mince.
3. Add tomato puree, oregano, basil, bay leaf, thyme and ground pepper. Mix well, then turn heat down to a simmer. Simmer for 30 minutes.
4. Bring a large saucepan of salted water to the boil. Add spaghetti, then stir. Cook as per pack instruction. Drain and transfer to a bowl, then add a tablespoon of olive oil and a half cup of grated parmesan cheese. Mix well.
5. Divide the pasta amongst bowls, top with the bolognese and serve.