- In a heavy set frypan, fry the onions in oil for 4 minutes, stirring often.
- Sprinkle in golden sugar, pour in the red wine and caramelize the onions for a few minutes, until most of the wine has evaporated.
- Add the mushrooms and garlic and fry for another 2 minutes.
- Pour in 3 cups of vegetable stock and add the pasta, bay leaves and thyme. Cover with a lid to cook for 7-10 minutes, until al dente, stirring every couple of minutes. You can add the extra cup of stock if needed.
- Pour the cream in. Season with salt and pepper. Add the cheese and spinach and stir until the spinach has wilted.
- Top with an extra sprinkle of cheese. Place under a hot grill for 3-5 minutes until the cheese melts and golden.